Thursday, October 9, 2008

Aotearoa Music

Travis and I watched the NZ Music Awards last night. I had heard of all of the nominees, which was a bonus. I had even heard most of the music. I'm especially loving Anika Moa right now. There are a list of albums I need to buy in the next little while. Here's a short list of some NZ artists you might want to check out: Tiki Taane, Liam Finn, Shapeshifter, Kora, Katchafire, Salmonella Dub, Cut off Your Hands, OpShop, Scribe, Savage (and Decepticons), Shihad, Flight of the Conchords (obviously), Anika Moa, Julia Deans, and Straitjacket Fits (think Pixies, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Nirvana, you know, late 80s stuff - AWESOME).

The highlight of the night, for me, was the opening of the show and the performance by Tiki Taane. I don't think there's a youtube video up yet of last night's performance, but here's the album version of the song TANGAROA - god of the sea.



Enjoy. Check out all the other Tiki videos, and Straitjacket Fits, too. :)

No comments: