Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First Camping Weekend in New Zealand

We took off on Friday, Oct 10 to Urititi Campground.

It was great.

There were no fire pits or bbqs... it was good that we had a camp stove so we could cook our food. And cook we did!

Our tent is huge - just the right size for us. ;) The air mattress also works great. Sleeping bags were good, too. I started off being too hot, but then, as always, got too cold. The next night I started off wearing my new wool sweater and socks, and I was much better throughout the night.

We were about 35m from the beach, on the other side of a sand dune. SO AWESOME. We were smack-dab in the middle of a 5km long beach. We would walk about 2.5km of sand in either direction. And we did. In bare feet. My feet got sand flea bites ALL over them. (Today is Oct 27, and they're not itchy anymore, but there are scars where I was bitten).

Hopefully we'll be able to go camping for a night next weekend after Travis returns from China. He probably won't want to go anywhere, though.

(I don't have photos from this weekend on my computer - they're on Trav's hard drive that he took with him to China. Those will get posted at a later date).

No comments: